These No Bun Cajun Burgers use grilled sweet potato buns instead of bread! They’re a healthy, whole30, gluten and dairy free summer meal with a taste of the south!
Then, when I do, I make them out of ALL of the vegetables and it makes him not so happy, except that one time I made him Cajun Instant Pot Chili.
I guess he wasn’t picturing cauliflower when he suggests these things to me.
I recently decided to surprise him with Cajun + beef.
I just had to sneak vegetables in there, In the form of a SWEET POTATO bun but can we be mad at that? While they’re still carbs AND they’re about eleventy billion times more delicious AND nutritious than a bun. At least I made him a “bun” this time and didn’t serve him a burger salad right?
Are Burger Buns Healthy
I LOVE a good burger but burger buns are not typically considered to be healthy. Most burger buns are made from refined wheat flour, which is low in fiber and nutrients and can cause a rapid spike in blood sugar levels. They also often contain added sugars, preservatives, and other additives, which can contribute to a number of health issues.
That’s why I had to come up with a healthier options. Let me to introduce you to a new kind of bun: my Sweet Potato Bun Recipe! If you didn’t know already, sweet potatoes are my jam- whether I’m cooking up some Twice Baked Mexican Sweet Potatoes or incorporating them into a tasty dessert like Gluten Free Sweet Potato Pie Bars, I always have them on hand. You’re not even going to miss the bun on these burgers because the sweet potato buns are absolutely DELISH.
How do you make Sweet Potato Buns from scratch?
Making these delicious and unique buns for your burgers isn’t as difficult as you might think! Sweet Potatoes bring the flavor and texture all on their own, with just a bit of help from some olive oil and salt! Here’s how to do it:
Using a sharp knife, cut 8 slices out of the middle of your sweet potato. It is the thickest part, so it makes for the biggest and best sweet potato buns.
Place your sweet potato slices into a large, microwave-safe bowl and add a splash of water to the bowl. Microwave on high just until the sweet potatoes start to soften, which should take about 2 minutes. Once heated, drain the water and pat each slice dry with a paper towel.
Brush each side of the slices of sweet potato and grill them until nice char marks form. This should take about 4 minutes. Flip and cook an additional 3-4 minutes or until they’re cooked and softened but not mushy.
Top each sweet potato bun with ketchup, veggies, and a burger, then finish it off with the remaining sweet potato bun. DEVOUR!
Cajun Burger Ingredients
Ok, so now that I’ve shown you how EASY and DELICIOUS it is to make potato hamburger buns, let’s move on to the list of ingredients you’ll need to make these incredible burgers! Here you have it:
For the Veggies
- Olive Oil
- Green Pepper
- Fresh Garlic
For the Burgers
- 92% Grass Fed Beef
- Cajun Seasoning
- Sea Salt
- Olive Oil
I also recommend making some low carb sugar free bbq sauce to slather on!
How to Grill Burgers
Grilling your own burgers might seem intimidating, but fear not! It’s actually not scary but rather super simple and the flavor!? It can’t be beat! Here’s how:
- Set your grill to high heat.
- Once the grill is fully heated, place the burgers on the grill. Cook for 4 minutes.
- Flip the burgers and cook an additional 3-4 minutes or until they reach desires doneness. VOILA! Then, let them rest on a plate, covered in tin foil until ready to assemble and DEVOUR!
I recommend serving them with a side of my keto french fries for extra veggie goodness!
How long can I store Potato Buns for?
Sweet Potato buns can be stored in the fridge until you’re ready to use them, or if you have leftovers. They are best fresh off the grill, however if you want to store them in the fridge, they will keep for 2-3 days.
No Bun Burger Variations
Here are a few ways to jazz up a hamburger:
- Use high-quality, flavorful meat. Try using a mix of ground beef and ground pork or lamb for added depth of flavor. You can also use ground turkey, chicken, or plant-based meat substitutes for a healthier option.
- Add herbs and spices to the meat mixture. Try mixing in chopped fresh herbs, such as parsley, oregano, or thyme, or dried herbs, such as cumin, paprika, or garlic powder, for added flavor.
- Top the burger with flavorful condiments and toppings. Consider adding avocado, roasted red peppers, sautéed mushrooms, caramelized onions, or a fried egg for added texture and flavor. You can also use homemade sauces, such as barbecue sauce, aioli, or pesto, for added depth of flavor.
- Add cheese for added richness and flavor. Consider using a flavorful cheese, such as blue cheese, Gorgonzola, or feta, for added depth of flavor. You can also try using a mix of different types of cheese for added complexity.
- Grill or cook the burger on a stovetop griddle or cast iron skillet for added char and flavor. This will help to sear the outside of the burger and create a crispy, caramelized crust.
Other Burger Recipes
Cajun Burgers with Sweet Potato Buns
For the veggies:
- 2 tsp Extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 Large green pepper, thinly sliced
- 1/4 Large onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 Cup Celery, thinly sliced
- 1/2 Tbsp Fresh garlic, minced
For the burgers:
For the buns:
- 2 Large sweet potatoes
- 2 tsp Extra-virgin olive oil
Pre heat your grill to high heat, letting it heat up at least 10 minutes.
Heat the olive oil (for the veggies) in a large frying pan on medium high heat. Add in the pepper, onion, celery and garlic and cook, stirring frequently, until soft and golden brown, about 5-7 minutes. Keep on low heat to keep warm.
Combine the ground beef, Cajun seasoning and salt in a large bowl and mix evenly. Form into 3 3/4 inch patties. Brush each side lightly with olive oil.
Once the grill is on high heat, put the burgers over direct heat and cook for 4 minutes. Flip and cook an additional 3-4 minutes, or until they reach the desired level of done-ness. Transfer to a plate and cover to keep warm and let rest.
Make 8 slices out of the middle of the sweet potato (it’s the largest part) about 1/4 inch thick. Place them into a large, microwave-safe bowl and add a little water. Cover and microwave until they JUST begin to soften, only about 2 minutes. Drain the water and pat the potatoes dry with a paper towel. *
Brush each side of the potatoes with the oil and grill until nice char marks form, about 4 minutes. Flip and cook and additional 3-4 minutes until fork tender, but not mushy.
While the potatoes cook, mix all the ketchup ingredients in a medium bowl.
Divide the ketchup between all 8 of the sweet potato slices. Divide the veggies between 4 of the slices, place one burger on top of each veggie-covered slice. Cover with the remaining sweet potatoes.
Calories from Fat 147
WEIGHT WATCHERS POINTS PER SERVING: SMART POINTS: 9 POINTS+: 8. OLD POINTS:7
(may vary slightly depending on the size of your sweet potato)
STAY IN DA KNOW ABOUT BEHIND-THE-SCENES INFO GOING ON AT FFF BY KEEPING IN TOUCH ON TWITTER,FACEBOOK AND PINTEREST!
This post may contain affiliate links, but I only recommend products that I actually use and <3. Thanks for supporting FFF!