Aaah, spring — birds sing, flowers bloom, and the air holds a new energy of re-birth. The Spring Equinox is just a few weeks away, and nature is showing signs that spring is almost here. To prepare our bodies and minds for warmer weather and the new growth that comes with spring, here are a few of our favorite spring-themed poses. Yoga is a great way to celebrate the new season, and find that new growth in ourselves as well!
- Stand with your feet as wide as your hips.
- Clap your hands together and interlace your fingers (putting fingers in the space between the fingers of the other hand).
- Take a big breath in. Breathe out and make the shape of a rainbow towards one side of your body. Feel the nice big stretch through the other side of your body!
- After a few breaths, breathe in and reach your arms back up to the sky, getting as tall as you can.
- Make a rainbow shape in the other direction, repeating steps 1-4 towards the other side of your body. Just like a rainbow, bring some color and light to your body and mind!
- Sit up tall and place the bottoms of your feet together. Feel your legs open up to the side like colorful flower petals. Enjoy the stretch!
- Like a flower, feel roots growing down through your seat and your upper body rising up to the warm, life-giving sun. Feel the extra space in your body!
- Hold the pose for a few breaths. Perhaps stillness feels best for you, or perhaps it feels good to move through your upper body like a gentle breeze is making you dance (while your roots keep you stable).
- Rest on your belly, with your legs reaching long behind you.
- Take your hands next to your sides and feel your elbows scoop into towards your side. You’re a long, skinny snake!
- With your back and belly strong, lift your heart and look ahead of you — your upper body rising up like a snake rising in tall grass.
- Hold the pose for a few deep breaths. For a little extra fun, hiss and wiggle your hips like you’re a snake slithering along!
- As you breathe out, rest your upper down. If it feels good for your body, try the pose again — maybe lifting your upper body a little higher. This is a great pose for getting calm energy!
Interested in more spring-themed content? Check out our Spring Yoga Cards and Lesson Plans package! As we transition into a new season, it’s also a good time to remember that yoga is there for us any time of the year. Our A Year of Yoga Bundle has yoga for the whole year!
Want to learn how to build your own themed content in kids yoga and mindfulness, with seasons and more? Our Kids Yoga Lesson Planning course, within our 95-hour Kids Yoga Teacher Training, can teach you how! Our Business of Kids Yoga course can also show you how to market and distribute it in a way that’s true to you!