|My Flowers to Those Who Love Peace
by Maria Primachenko
“I know my mother’s love is still with me even though she is gone, but sometimes I forget and feel lost. So now I’m trying to find ways to unearth that love for myself, which can be surprisingly hard.
- Start by practicing a few minutes of breath awareness to settle in.
- When you are ready, picture the person or people you feel grief for in your mind’s eye.
- In your mind slowly say your chosen phrase and repeating it, continuing to picture the person or people. If you wish, you can combine the phrase with breath awareness, by repeating the phrase once with each exhalation.
- When your mind wanders, just notice it—refraining from making judgments about how well you are concentrating—and then return to the image again and repeat the phrase.
- Continue for as long as you like.
- Then, if it’s comfortable for you to do so, sit quietly and notice how you feel.