Babies always ask for what their bodies need. Before they have language, we might not always understand what they’re asking for — but they’re asking! Adults, and sometimes even children and youth, can learn from them in this regard; we too often deny our bodies what they need (out of focus on other things, social pressures, and many other reasons). Happy Baby Pose is a relaxing, cooling pose that can return us to a baby’s playful spirit, one that would never deny its own body’s needs. Let’s take a closer look at this pose!
Tips: If the stretch feels too intense, a milder version is to place the bottoms of your feet together to create a diamond shape with your legs. If you want a deeper stretch, holding on the outsides of your feet — rather than your insteps or your toes — can bring that.
Pose: Happy Baby Pose
Ages: all ages
Mantra: “I am playful.”
- Lay on your back.
- Press your whole back of body into the floor.
- Then, lift your feet up and place the feet into your hands.
- Imagine a baby laying on their back grasping onto their feet by the toes.
- Let your knees bend wide, and down toward the floor.
- Relax into the pose for three to five breaths — longer if your body wants that!
- Settle into a final relaxation pose, or continue on with other relaxing poses until you are ready for a final rest.
Exercises with Children
- Extend one leg out and then the other, and then re-bend in different sequences — make a little dance!
- As a math integration, ask children what shapes they see in the pose. What new shapes can they make?
- Gently roll from one side of your back to the other, like a boat rocking in the water.
- Ask children to laugh like happy, playful babies. Can they laugh in different ways — slow and fast, in deep pitches and low?
- Stretches the legs and lower back
- Brings relaxation
- Cools the body
- Encourages playfulness
- Encourages listening and responding to the body’s needs
Interested in learning more about yoga with young children? Flow and Grow Kids Yoga has many offerings to help you guide you!